- Best family movies for the whole family to watch. Recommended classics and the best family films of recent years
Best family movies for the whole family to watch. Recommended classics and the best family films of recent years
Do you want to spend a pleasant time with your loved ones? In this article, you’ll find the best family movies for the whole family. A well-chosen session is a great way to have a nice afternoon with people closest to you. We present the best films that you will watch with children and more.
The best family movies – what to watch with children?
A family movie is, as the name suggests, a movie that the whole family can enjoy. Its main features are those relating to the world of children, family and home. As a result, the target audience is primarily the youngest, but not only. Adult viewers also enjoy many family films. Sometimes, during a screening, they have even better fun than their children.
Animation targeted at adults is becoming an increasingly common genre these days. Therefore, in order to avoid mishaps, before a screening with children, it is worth checking whether the film belongs to the correct age category. Our list can definitely help you with that. The best family movies are ahead of you!
The best family movies of all time
Related: Digeekon – get into technology!
Picking a few of the best family movies of all time is extremely difficult as it is a very broad category. Productions of this type began to appear before the Second World War, and their greatest development took place in the 1960s. Currently, new productions are appearing on the market constantly and are fighting to gain the attention of young viewers.
Here are the best family movies of all time that will appeal to every generation and will be perfect for a family screening:
- Shrek (2001);
- The Lion King (1994);
- My Neighbor Totoro (1988);
- ET (1982);
- Mulan (1998);
- Ratatouille (2007);
- One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961);
- Lady and the Tramp (1955);
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996);
- Toy Story (1995);
- Ice Age (2002);
- Madagascar (2005);
- Up (2009);
- Hachi: A Dog’s Tale (2009);
- Maleficent (2014);
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005);
- Song of the Sea (2014);
- Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (2002);
- Bridge to Terabithia (2007);
- Hugo (2011);
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005);
- The Parent Trap (1998);
- How to Train Your Dragon (2010).
These are just a fraction of the productions that definitely deserve your attention. Some of them are the best Disney family movies, and knowing them is a must! It is impossible to list all versions of Cinderella or Snow White here … However, if you are going to get down to the classic Disney films, we recommend starting with the earliest versions. They do not get old despite the passage of time, and these stories are simply universal.
The best family films of recent years
Family cinema is constantly developing, and the creators are racing to release a better production that will capture the hearts of both younger and older viewers. This is a very positive development because it gives us a huge selection of good movies for an evening out with the family.
Here are the best family movies of recent years:
- Coco (2017);
- Soul (2020);
- A Dog’s Purpose (2017);
- Inside Out (2015);
- Le Petit Prince (2015);
- The Breadwinner (2017);
- Moana (2016);
- Zootopia (2016);
- The Lion King (2019);
- Sing (2016);
- Christopher Robin (2018);
- The Mitchells vs. The Machines (2021);
- Dora and the Lost City of Gold (2019);
- House (2015);
- Pinocchio (2019);
- Wonder (2017);
- Beauty and the Beast (2017);
- Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019).
The best family films for children
Among family films, there are many aimed at the youngest viewers. These will not necessarily encourage adults, but they will keep the little one from taking their eyes off the screen. If you want smart fairy tales for children to watch in their spare time, be sure to read our list.
Here are the recommended films for children with which you can provide the youngest with an unforgettable screening:
- Trolls (2016);
- Minions (2015);
- The Smurfs (2011);
- Barbie in The Nutcracker (2001);
- The Emoji Movie (2017);
- TinkerBell and the Great Fairy Rescue (2017);
- Pokémon Detective Pikachu (2019);
- THE LEGO MOVIE (2014);
- Pooh’s Heffalump Movie (2005).
However, if you are a parent and you feel that you are also encouraged by the above titles – go ahead and watch! Nothing prevents you from feeling like a child again for a moment and spending time with your loved ones.
The best family movies for Christmas
The holiday that appears most often in movies is Christmas. It is an extremely catchy topic that attracts all generations of viewers to the screens. During the holidays, we have more free time, which we like to spend with our family.
Over the years, a lot of different productions have been created, perfect for the December screening. These are not only funny comedies, but also adventure films and beautiful animations.
Here are the best family movies for Christmas:
- Home Alone (1990);
- Frozen (2013);
- Klaus (2019);
- The Polar Express (2004);
- Arthur Christmas (2011);
- I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown (2003);
- Angela’s Christmas (2017);
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Movie (1998);
- Niko – Lentäjän poika (2008);
- A Christmas Carol (2009);
- Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey (2020);
- Rise of the Guardians (2012);
- Shrek the Halls (2007);
- Reisen til julestjernen (2012);
- Miracle on 34th Street (1994);
- Once Upon a Christmas (2000);
- The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey (2007);
- Beethoven’s Christmas Adventure (2011);
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966).
Although Christmas dominates in holiday productions, you can also find some interesting proposals for family films for Easter. Here are a few of them:
- Hop (2011);
- Peter Rabbit (2018);
- Die Häschenschule – Jagd nach dem goldenen Ei (2017);
- Easter Parade (1948);
- Winnie the Pooh: Springtime with Roo (2004);
As you can see, every Christmas you can choose a movie that will complete the magic of the family atmosphere. You can also always use the offers that are not related to specific holidays. The most important thing is to spend a good time with the whole family.
The best family movies for vacations
Taking time off with all the adventures is also quite a popular theme in movies. It is also a period when each of us (especially children) has a bit more time to spend time with the family. Here are the best family vacation movies and those great to watch in summer:
- RV (2006);
- Yes Day (2021);
- Les vacances du petit Nicolas (2014);
- Finding ‘Ohana (2021);
- Dumbo (2019);
- Mr. Bean’s Holiday (2007);
- The Magic Tree (2008);
- Belle et Sébastien (2013);
- Pan (2015);
- Mary Poppins Returns (2018);
- Hotel Transylvania (2012);
- Mia et le lion blanc (2018);
- The Road to El Dorado (2000);
- Nine Lives (2016);
- Over the Moon (2020);
- Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012);
- The Magic of Belle Isle (2012);
- Moomin Summer (2008);
- Matilda (1996).
There are really many family productions. Often, these are valuable, informative and even touching films. That is why the best ones are greatly appreciated. Animated films even have their own Oscar-winning category. It is therefore worth taking a look at the titles that have won these important statuettes.
- 2020 – Soul;
- 2019 – Toy Story 4;
- 2018 – Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse;
- 2017 – Coco;
- 2016 – Zootopia;
- 2015 – Inside Out;
- 2014 – Big Hero 6;
- 2013 – Frozen;
- 2012 – Brave;
- 2011 – Rango;
- 2010 – Toy Story 3;
- 2009 – Up;
- 2008 – WALL-E;
- 2007 – Ratatouille;
- 2006 – Happy Feet;
- 2005 – Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit;
- 2004 – The Incredibles;
- 2003 – Finding Nemo;
- 2002 – Spirited Away;
- 2001 – Shrek.
If you didn’t have an opportunity to watch some of the movies listed above, now you have the reason to do so – they have won such important awards and remain in the memory forever. Since the American Film Academy appreciated them, there is a good chance that you will like them too. These are perfect items for a family evening.
The biggest advantage of the platforms is that they are constantly expanding their libraries. Not only for their original productions, but also for licensed films. That’s why it’s so easy to find both popular classics and new films we’ve never heard of before.
Now that you know what the best family movies for different occasions are, there is nothing else to do but invite your loved ones to a screening and spend a unique family time in front of the screen. See for yourself that a family movie is a good movie for every evening.